Monday, April 4, 2011

Winterpast



In Jan Karon's At Home in Mitford (p. 390), I love when Father Tim discovers that Willard had inscribed, "Winterpast" on the center beam in the attic of the home he hoped to share one day with Miss Sadie as his wife. Below this word, Song of Solomon was carved into the beam to remind them of the verses, "See! The winter is past; the rains are over and gone. Flowers appear on the earth; the season of singing has come, the cooing of doves is heard in our land." (Song of Songs 2:11,12 NIV)

Those of us who live where there are four distinct seasons connect with the joy of these verses. Mom used to say, "We'll be glad when April comes." She said "Apraal" the way her Scottish grandfather pronounced the word. And we are glad, even when one more slushy snowfall plops on the wee blue scillas and snowdrops.

Today the ice in the arena goes out. No more Monday afternoon skating f
ollowed by a tea-time visit with friends until next fall, but raking dry leaves from around the green shoots in the flower beds provides plenty of exercise.

When Mr. Whiskers steps out into the darkness, robins are already calling the sun to get up. The first curly green evidence of leaves is showing on the rhubarb's red nubbins. Fragile stems of parsl
ey, cherry tomatoes and salad greens are stretching bravely above the potting soil in their containers. If I've kept her stories straight in my memory box, the enamelled tub I've started the salad greens in is the basin Mom bathed her babies in... so the old pan is still being used for the care of new life.

With winter past we enter a time of new beginnings. In spite of chaotic events occurring worldwide, spring offers welcome changes. I'm not able to fix a multitude of things that need fixing, but I can plant a seed. I can speak an encouraging word. I can share the hope I have in Christ that He longs to give to anyone who is willing to receive Him. If He can cause life-giving food to grow from that tiny hard bit in the soil, he can use my words to instill the desire in someone to look up and move on through difficult circumstances... because a new season is coming.

3 comments:

  1. Mary, thank you for this enjoyable read. I love your quotation from Song of Songs. For me, the lines in that verse are among the most exquisitely beautiful in the English language.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the enamel tub. May it have many more seasons of caring for new life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful, Mary....what a message of hope. New life, new season, new growth. Thanks, I needed to be reminded that everything is subject to change for the better. He is so good!
    God bless
    Michele D.

    ReplyDelete

Best viewed using Internet Explorer