Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Solomon, Work and Wonders



Friday I wrote - Rain is coming. Clothes are on the line. If we have another half hour of this grand breeze, even the hoodies will be dry. - And the rain did hold off. The laundry dried and that afternoon I scrubbed the bird baths, cleaned the pond pump, planted another tiny row of lettuce, tied the new growth on the clematis to the trellis, and pruned the japonica.

I've been thinking about Solomon's thoughts in Ecclesiastes. I agree with his conclusion that what really matters in this life is to fear and obey God. As far as his view that everything is meaningless, much of what I did Friday will need doing again in a few days, but for me it was not useless effort. Getting that much done produced a lovely feeling of satisfaction.

There can be joy in the doing. With such a cool, wet spring, only a week ago I planted annuals. "You open Your hand and satisfy the desires of every living thing." (Psa. 145:16, NIV) always comes to mind when I'm stirring a bit of fertilizer into the hole prepared for an impatiens. That patch of bright pink and purple under the beech tree gives instant gratification - a garden just planted and already in bloom. Maybe Solomon had been so blessed that there was no longer anything that could stir deep joy within him?

There must have been times when he reveled in the beauty that surrounded him. I love the words he attributed to Wisdom in Proverbs 8:30, 31: "I was filled with delight day after day, rejoicing always in his presence, rejoicing in his whole world." (NIV) Been doing lots of that lately - driving down country roads lined with lilacs, discovering delicate yellow Lady's-slippers, graceful stems of Solomon's seal, and Jack-in-the-pulpits - wonders of creation in these delightful days of transition from spring to summer in Ontario.

1 comment:

Best viewed using Internet Explorer