Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Listening



I'm watching chickadees and house finches and the downy woodpecker coming and going from the feeders outside my window and I'm thinking of Jesus' words in Matthew 6:26. "Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?" (NIV) Father God pays attention to the needs of all His creation.

When I wakened the other morning I listened like always for Mr. Whiskers. Was he knocking on the wardrobe? Was he doing his wee squeak (He doesn't know how to mew.) that means, "You'd better get moving, woman. I need to go outside."
Before I'd even checked to see whether he was still on the bed or curled up on the window sill, the thought came, this is how God listens for His children, the way a mother wakens and immediately listens for any sound that would mean her baby needs her. And God assures us that even if a mother could forget her child, He will never forget us. (Isaiah 49:15 NIV)

Every relationship involves communication between two individuals, and it's love that makes us listen; the greater the love, the greater the desire to pay attention. God's love for us is off the charts. Psalm 34:15 says that He is watching over us and "His ears are attentive" (NIV) to His children. In Isaiah 50:4, I read, "He wakens me morning by morning, wakens my ear to listen." (NIV) I love my fluffy buddy and I'm willing to listen for him in the morning, but my desire to be tuned in to God is way greater. I'm asking Him for a hearing tune-up. I don't want to miss anything that He chooses to share with me at the beginning of each new day. Nothing in me desires to be a part of the folks the Lord Jesus describes in Matthew 13:13 who did not hear.

3 comments:

  1. "Every relationship involves communication between two individuals, and it's love that makes us listen ..."
    Mary, that is a profound statement and a beautiful thought.
    This post as a whole is helpful and lovely. The above statement alone was worth the read.
    Blessings abundant to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, you're so right. Let us hear the voice of God...and walk in loving obedience as His ways are so much higher than ours. What a perfect Father He is!
    Blessings,
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been working on the "He wakens me every morning" and He actually does! Time to start asking Him to waken my ears to listen too.

    Thanks,Mary!

    ReplyDelete

Best viewed using Internet Explorer