Wednesday, August 1, 2012

The Power of a Seed

     Along the cliffs of the limestone gorge there are great views of cedar trees growing out of the rock. A seed has lodged in a crack of the rock and somehow connected with enough soil and moisture to germinate. As the root discovers openings to spread through it grows outward seeking nutrients and upward seeking light. By the time a cedar tree matures its root may have split the rock in which it grew leaving a portion of its root system exposed. What began as a tiny seed has split the limestone where it began to grow. That's powerful!

     Jesus taught that, "The seed is the word of God." (Luke 8:11 NIV) The cedar birthed in rock and growing toward the light eventually provides shelter for a chickadee and a fragrant deterrent for moths that love to feast on woollen blankets. That tree gives me hope. Even though my inner man may be rock-hard. Even though I may have closed my mind to the things of God, if I choose to receive one simple word like, "God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." (John 3:16 NIV), that word can take root and produce life in me.

     That first nibble on the word may give me an appetite to start snacking. Once I've developed a taste for it my hunger increases until I'm enjoying a feast that satisfies. The belief system that grows as we feed on the word of God provides the strength to hold steady through storms. It produces spiritual fruit to help others with whom we can share.
     The germ of life in a seed is miraculous. Only three squash plants survived from the seeds I planted. The wee hill of earth they were poked into probably looked inviting to squirrels and cats (one of whom will remain unnamed). I replanted some seedlings the varmints pulled out. Once the plants grew, if a critter broke a stem, it ended up on the compost heap. But the three that continue to grow across the back yard are lovely evidence of the power of seeds to produce vibrant results.
  

1 comment:

  1. Mary, thanks for the visual encouragement that, yes, a small seed of God's Word can split what's hard and produce a bounty.

    ReplyDelete

Best viewed using Internet Explorer