Tuesday, January 15, 2013

FOCUS

     When yucky weather squelches Mr. Whiskers' interest in outdoor activities, he directs his energies to toys he's tossed aside on better days. One cold wet afternoon I discovered him stuck by the basement door. He'd gathered a small collection and there he sat, apparently trying to solve the dilemma of which one to tackle. Instead of choosing and making use of one, he parked and did nothing. Eventually he walked away from all of them.

     I can't entirely fault my ginger puss. I have such a bunch of things I want to do. I need to chuck some for another time and focus on one or two projects. It's a struggle when each of them is calling, "Do me, do me!"

     Unlike my buddy I do not choose to walk away from intriguing possibilities. The neat thing is God knows all that's coming ahead on the road we are travelling. The last bit of Hebrews 12:1 says, 'let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." (NIV) The other afternoon I came down the street by the church as the sun was setting. The signs marking whichway to go on the round-about caught the light. We benefit; we're kept safe when we follow those directions. Better still, we benefit when we ask God to guide us in our decisions and stay on the course He's chosen as best for each individual.

     The next verse, Hebrews 12:2 starts off, "Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith." (NIV) The high spires on traditional church buildings were designed to point to the heavens and to God. We can be inspired and guided in our doings as we focus on Him.  

2 comments:

  1. Oh, we need direction! Sometimes the amount of choices do tempt me to just walk away and have a nap. Other times I focus on the wrong thing and waste the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, we can relate to Mr. Whiskers on that front as well. Too often I've been stalled, not because of writers' block, but because I had way too many ideas I really didn't know which to start first.

    Of course, as we fix our eyes on Jesus, He makes our eyes and thoughts to walk in the light which means it should become easier to choose the right thing in the right moment.

    I enjoy your take on things, Mary! So glad I stopped by.

    Blessings for great joy... and a big purry hug for Mr. W.

    Brenda

    ReplyDelete

Best viewed using Internet Explorer