Monday, April 1, 2013

BETWEEN A ROCK AND A HARD PLACE

     For the past week I've been watching these brave little scillas grow and begin to bloom. Squished between the house wall and the cement patio, how they find enough earth to nourish them always amazes me. Yet these particular ones produce their dainty star-shaped flowers earlier than their brothers growing in good soil in the garden every spring. They draw warmth that the limestone and cement capture from the morning sunshine and they just cannot wait for the others to bloom.

     The strength and determination of the scillas' bulbs to grow in this difficult spot inspires me. When their glossy leaves first appear I expect to see blue flowers open soon. They are hopeful wee things, sweet symbols of this season of atonement and resurrection life.

     At times we may find ourselves in seemingly impossible situations. We smack into a stone wall as we attempt an escape in one direction. Concrete opposition blocks another hoped-for solution. When circumstances look so impossible that either way we lose, we need to look up. The psalmist said, "Why are you cast down, O my soul? And why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God; for I shall yet praise Him, the help of my countenance and my God." (Psalm 43:5 NKJV)

     Access to the One who is able to meet our need is not blocked. We can choose to reach up to Him. We can choose to respond to the warmth of His love. "Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need." (Hebrews 4:16 NKJV)
 

2 comments:

  1. As a kid, on the farm, I would see the tiny snowdrops grow out by the old catalpa tree every spring. They were always the first things to flower. Inevitably, a snowstorm would bury them. But when the snow finally melted, those tiny little blossoms would pop up. I always marvelled that something so small and fragile could withstand so much and continue to bloom.

    Your scilla story reminded me of that. We can have the resiliency of a scilla or a snowdrop, facing ice and rock and thriving in spite of them, in the power of the Holy Spirit. What a great message to share with us, Mary! God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Resiliency is good. Love the word and needs lots of it.
      Blessings back, MaryLou.

      Delete

Best viewed using Internet Explorer