Thursday, August 1, 2013

SLEEP DISRUPTED, YET...

     Things going thump and bump wakened me. I waited expecting to hear a crash of something breaking. The contestants duked it out in open space - no damage. Fully awake, I realized Mr. Whiskers was after the bat I'd seen earlier in the month.

     When I mustered the courage to investigate, my fearless buddy had his opponent boxed in behind the radiator in the front hall. In his attempts to ferret the bat out, he had unearthed several toys previously squished under the rad. Checking each side, reaching underneath, even standing on hind legs, Whiskers could not get at the little creature clinging to the back side of the metal heater.

     I put Whiskers out; closed doors to other rooms; opened the door to the outside and shut off the lights hoping the bat would fly out. He did not and Mr. Whiskers came back in. The bat outlasted me. What if another decided to come looking for him? I shut the door and went back to bed.

     I don't pretend to have any great affection for bats. I appreciate them decimating mosquitoes in their legitimate domain, but have zero desire to share mine with them. No question, the one that came in wanted out even more than I wanted him gone. He could not know that I was trying to help him. He assumed my intentions lined up with those of my buddy.

       Had he any way of realizing I wanted to set him free, that bat and I could have co-operated to make it happen. I wonder how often Father God desires to take us from a dark place. Unlike my unwelcome guest, we have the ability to understand that God loves us and truly desires our best. It's a no-brainer. We can let go, give up the struggle, surrender to His goodness and love and receive every benefit He wants us to have.

     Day school is my preference, but even when a night's sleep is disturbed, I can learn something.

7 comments:

  1. What a great lesson from your nocturnal adventure. Keep us posted on your and Mr. Whisker's continuing adventures with Mr. Bat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No more adventures with him, Violet, if I get to choose.

      Delete
  2. Poor little fellow must have been scared stiff! May we, in our dark and scared moments, still ourselves enough to listen to our Father's gentle voice speaking comfort and direction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! To trust His goodness and allow Him to lead us knowing He's already provided for every need...

      Delete
  3. For a long time, I didn't even realize I was in the dark. Sure am glad to be in the light now!

    Great post as usual, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, and He's promised it will keep on getting brighter. Yay, God!

      Delete
  4. Thanks, Mary. Your bat story illustrates clearly how hard we struggle against our circumstances. If only we would cooperate with God and surrender, He could work things out for us so much better than we can on our own.

    ReplyDelete

Best viewed using Internet Explorer