Sunday, December 1, 2013

MORE THAN THE SPARROWS

     A detour because of bridge repair took me into a valley where Herefords were feeding by the river. The farmer had delivered hay to the snow-covered pasture. I'm fairly sure the cattle took for granted he would show up with food. Can't imagine them stewing. That's not a favourite word in the vocabulary of beef cattle, but you know what I mean - in a dither - about what to do if dinner did not arrive.

     We can learn from those Herefords. David said, "You open Your hand and satisfy the desire of every living thing. (Psalm 145:16 NIV) You and I are living so that every must include us. More than the most loving parent on earth, Father God cares, provides and desires to see His children succeed.

     Friends gave me a lovely azalea just beginning to bloom and loaded with buds. When I realized it needed more water than the other plants on the window sills, its healthy green buds had turned brown. With a little water each morning, life inside them prevailed. One by one the flowers are pushing aside the dry brown outer layer and opening.

     In Luke 12 Jesus reminds us growing things and birds have everything they need. He asks, "Of how much more value are you than the birds?" (Luke 12:24 NKJV) Believers are strengthened by the Holy Spirit within us and all His presence affords, the Lord Jesus interceding for us, and Father God longing to see us victorious.

     Remember the chorus we sang as children? "God sees the little sparrow fall. It meets His tender view. If God so loves the little birds, I know He loves me too!" At seven or seventy we can know we are in His loving care.

3 comments:

  1. Beef cattle don't stew. I love it, Mary! That's going to stick in my mind for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it great, MaryLou? We need these things that make us chuckle, so we can remember the lessons. And now I'm thinking how nice a good beef stew would taste... but I'll remember the lesson.

      Delete
  2. Maybe they should :-) I'm no vegetarian.
    Bless you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete

Best viewed using Internet Explorer