Wednesday, January 15, 2014

COOKIE CUTTERS ARE FOR COOKIES

     Does nature's infinite variety of colours, shapes, sizes and textures boggle your mind? Father God has never used anything that remotely resembles a cookie cutter. I have to take the word of the experts that no two snowflakes are alike, but I can see for myself the differences in cones on spruce, pine, and hemlock trees; the array of colours sported by blue jays, flickers, cardinals, woodpeckers. More than three hundred species of hummingbirds have been identified! Do we agree that the Creator does not hanker after everything being the same?

     If we realize this is true in nature, how much more so in His children? God loves the uniqueness of every one of us. Joy comes from discovery in relationship with a loved one. Father God knows us. He delights in our coming to know Him. Any hindrances in this regard are on our side.

     When we are getting to know someone, often what we've heard about that person gets in the way. It takes time together to find our for ourselves what is true. From the first episode in the garden, our enemy has not stopped raising doubts about Father God and His intentions. James 4:7 states an effective antidote to his poison: submit to God - receive His love; resist the devil - reject his lies. We can take the initiative in furthering the relationship by acting on James' words in the next verse, "Draw near to God and He will draw near to you." (James 4:8 NKJV) 

     Love, joy and acceptance spill out of Zephaniah's declaration in Zephaniah 3:17, "He will rejoice over you with singing." (NKJV) Father God may even enjoy our quirks. He's definitely not into cookie cutter production of His most prized creation. 

6 comments:

  1. I met one of God's quirkier creations this morning at the grocery store. I have encountered her there before. I'll just be standing there, reading the label on a product or putting apples in a bag when, all of a sudden, there she is right at my elbow and talking a blue streak.

    I have to admit that each time she latches on to me, all I can think about is how much I would like to get away from her. But the next time I see her, I will try to remember that she isn't the product of a cookie cutter God and that he loves her in her oddities so I should, too.

    Thanks for another memorable lesson told clearly and well, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you, Mary Lou, and bless this quirky one who is drawn to share what's on her mind with you. :)

      Delete
  2. I don't know who she is, Mary, but the next time we cross paths I am going to make a point of being more patient with her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful meditation, Mary. It reminds me of attending the wed. a.m. women's meeting at our church. Every time we meet and I'm in this room buzzing with women, I am impressed by all the beauty. Some of these women are physically beautiful. Others you wouldn't label that but the beauty in their eyes and radiating from their spirits is so evident. It's comforting and challenging at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "comforting and challenging" - so true, Violet.

      Delete
  4. I think God does enjoy some of our quirks, Mary, or He wouldn't have designed us as He did. Often it's the quirks that make us "us".

    ReplyDelete

Best viewed using Internet Explorer