Sunday, June 29, 2014

A DONE DEAL

     My brother has shuffled his ranking of favourite cookies. For now, Debbie's ginger snaps have pushed Aunt Nora's "oatmealers" out of top spot. I enjoy baking. The routine blending of ingredients provides quiet moments when my mind is still. While making the last batch I saw a truth demonstrated in an obvious way.

     In anything we're doing, whether weaving fabric, building a home, or baking ginger snaps, we visualize the goal and we expect to accomplish it. I never butter the cookie sheets, preheat the oven and mix the dough, all the while thinking it's not likely that I will actually produce a batch of cookies. I expect their yummy fragrance to fill the kitchen. I'm sure the cookie tin will be full before long.

     If I'm confident of seeing the finished product, how much more is Father God positive that He is able to complete the work He's begun in each of us? Through the prophet, Jeremiah, He declares, "I know the plans I have for you... plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." (Jeremiah 29:11 NIV)

     Until Isaac's birth when Abraham was 100, the patriarch chose to believe God's promise that he would be the father of many nations, but our heavenly Father knew the names of every one of the multitude of descendants yet to be born. Regardless of the obstacles the enemy uses to hinder us from fulfilling our destinies, God sees us becoming all He intended. He is so willing to finish what He visualizes for every individual. He sees His children in health, prospering, succeeding, enjoying relationships.

     We can be equally confident that the blessed life God designed for each of us will unfold step by step as we walk with Him. He supplies us with faith to know His goals will be accomplished. For every believer, by His grace and mercy, it's a done deal!

3 comments:

  1. Amen my Friend. You certainly give food for thought through the written word:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary. We are blessed to be nourished by His Word.

      Delete
  2. Interesting. With the cookies, we have the raw ingredients and the process, so we expect the outcome (sometimes I burn the outcome!). With the Christian life, we have the Holy Spirit, we have God's promises, and as we follow His "recipe" for living, we should have equal expectation that He will finish what He started. Because we don't see it, sometimes we forget. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete

Best viewed using Internet Explorer