Sunday, November 1, 2015

FOREVER

     Have you ever tried to get your mind around the idea of "forever"? Most dictionaries connect "for" with "relating to" or "in reference to", and "ever" with "always". This could imply that "forever" is not just "without end", but also "without beginning". The whole concept almost nudges my thinker to "tilt".

     Everything we know in this natural world has a beginning and an end. I love watching the antics of wee kittens, full of new life, tumbling over each other. Cute as they are, they will grow, mature and die.Our physical bodies will as well, but Jesus said, "whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life." (John 3:15 NKJV) 

     Eternal, forever, always existing... Always is more than without beginning or ending. It also has a middle, a now! In John 17:3 we read, "This is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent." (NKJV) We can know God now. We can enjoy a relationship today with Father who loves us and is able to help us with everything in this life,

      I wish I could adjust the "now" for some kittens that live down the road. A lady has fed their mother for at least two years and, last I heard, has still not been able to get close to her. The mom and her kittens eat the food that Carolee puts out for them. I would love to cuddle those little ones, but they run to a hiding place when I try to go near.

     Father God provides for our needs too, but that does not create an especially close relationship. If we can set aside anything untrue that we've believed about Him, anything that may cause us to keep our distance, we can enjoy a parent-son and parent-daughter bond right now. What He's prepared for us after this part of "forever" is over will be greater than we can imagine, but I'm claiming all that He wants me to enjoy with Him in the "now" phase. How about you? 

3 comments:

  1. I recall my sister's oldest grand-daughter asking her one day, "Grandma, will I always be a girl?" She was only two years old at the time. I wondered how somebody that age could understand the concept of "forever".

    Isn't it mind-boggling to think that we can be in a relationship with a "forever" God? And even more mind-bobbling -- that we ourselves will become "forever" beings as well. So much to enjoy now and look forward to in the future, eh?

    Thanks for another insightful post, Mary. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mind was so boggled by it all that I changed the word to "mind-bobbled" the second time round. LOL!

      Delete
    2. Forever "bobbles" my mind too, Mary Lou. ;-)
      Blessings back
      Mary

      Delete

Best viewed using Internet Explorer