Monday, February 15, 2016

NO HURRY

     Are you toe tapping, breathing deeply and rolling your eyes when a friend does not show up on time... or are you the late friend hustling to keep the appointment? I once read an article in which a man in an eastern culture accused a westerner of worshiping idols. The American denied it. The African insisted. He said, "I watch you. When you enter a room you search until you find it." The idol was a clock.

     Perhaps not so much in Central or South America, but in North America, it's true. This part of the west is concerned about time. One of the first things the Lord showed me as I started this journey was that there is a perfect balance in Him. We do need schedules to get things accomplished. We also need to be able to let go and trust Him when unforeseen events come along.  

     A second lesson I learned early on was that the enemy will push for a quick decision. Father God is patient. He gives us opportunity to understand. As a new believer I prayed, "Lord, I love You and I will serve you, but I need friends." I'd hardly finished praying when the phone rang. It was an invitation to a party. Wow! That fast! He answered! It was not God. We had fun. I enjoyed the evening, but godly fellowship it was not.

     Solomon who placed first in wisdom, said, "To everything there
 is a season, a time for every purpose under heaven." (Ecclesiastes 3:1 NKJV) and God's timing is perfect. A microwave will cook fast, but can't produce the flavour of a marinade.In Psalm 31:5 David said, "My times are in Your hand." (NKJV) To step back, pray and consider what is involved may give a perspective not possible with a quick decision.


     Isaiah speaks of Christ as our Counselor (Isaiah 9:6) and who better? The One who knows the end from the beginning and wants nothing less than the best for everyone would never steer us wrong. No need to run ahead or lag behind. We can step out of the time struggle and rest in Him. 

     

1 comment:

  1. Yes... God grant us the desire to keep step with Him instead of scurrying ahead or falling behind. His presence is the best :)

    ReplyDelete

Best viewed using Internet Explorer