Monday, August 15, 2016

A KEY

     My Scottish heritage kicks in when I buy something that does not seem to perform the way it should. I dropped the carafe for my coffeemaker. It made a perfect smashed-into-smithereens landing. The test on the universal replacement carafe was successful, I thought, so I squished its packaging for the recycle bin. 

     In the morning when the first authentic use was due. the coffeemaker made all the right noises, yet nothing but steam appeared in the carafe. If you have a drop of Scottish blood you know what I was thinking. The package was flattened. I could not return the carafe. I was "out" that money and I would need a new coffeemaker.

     God is so good, even to frugal folks of Scottish ancestry. The Holy Spirit nudged me to check what I'd tossed into the recycle bin - instructions and an alternate lid. The tall lid had seemed to make the carafe fit too snugly and I thought the short lid in the kit had passed the test. The instructions gave the tall lid priority. That was the key. I tried the tall lid again. The pause and serve feature activated and coffee flowed.

     Trouble with the pond pump gave me a second  run on this lesson. The entire contraption fell apart when I tried to secure the fountain head. The same parts that fit together when I first assembled the pump no longer connected. 

     The manual dealt with several different pumps and provided meagre information for each of them. An illustration for my model showed ridges on the top of the main shaft. I had that piece upside down. That was the key. I reversed it and each section fit together.

     Life throws lots bigger difficulties at us than broken carafes and fountains. The prince of this world wants us to think we're defeated. He is relentless and we must be relentless also. We can focus on his black picture or turn and withstand him in the light and truth of God's Word.

     We see what is confronting us in our natural circumstances. If we realize the essence of our conflicts is in the spiritual realm, we can choose to be strong and stand protected by the armour God has provided. (Ephesians 6:10-18) When we trust God for the answer the Holy Spirit will give us a key that will be the difference between frustration and victory. With God nothing is impossible. (Matthew 19:26)

       

1 comment:

  1. Nice application, Mary! (As soon as I read the symptoms of your coffee maker problem I thought of carafes we've had that didn't work for the exact reason yours didn't with the original lid.)

    ReplyDelete

Best viewed using Internet Explorer